Campaign To Change 500 Year-Old Toxic Tradition Affecting Over 70% of Population of Mexico
* Go to the Spanish Language website: http://barroaprobado.org/
* More information:
- Latest: New research shows nearly half the children in Mexico impacted by lead poisoning, at risk for Mild Mental Retardation and other serious health impacts; lead exposure from pottery is the principal cause.
- Fact Sheet: Mexico’s 500 Year-Old Problem (with inforgraphic)
- Why are Millions of Children in Mexico Still Suffering from Lead Poisoning?(Huffington Post)
- VIDEO: News report from Mexican TV about the national problem (Spanish with English subtitles)
- See Spanish news coverage of “Barro Aprobado”
For more information: contact Daniel Estrada at email@example.com
The cause? A 500 year-old toxic tradition of leaded pottery.
Almost every home and restaurant in the country uses traditional Mexican pottery produced by local artisans over the past five centuries using leaded glazes.
Pure Earth/Blacksmith Institute is currently in Mexico to launch the start of a major campiagn to change this 500 year-old toxic tradition and solve this national problem.
The “Barro Aprobado” project will raise public awareness about the dangers of leaded pottery and promote the use and production of lead-free pottery. The project begins in Morelos state with plans to expand on its success nationwide.