We are seeking a qualified and motivated Program Associate to assist us in managing and implementing programs in South Asia, particularly India and Bangladesh.
The ideal candidate will have excellent writing skills and experience in projects related to the environment, environmental health, or international development. This position will also require someone who is willing to take on a range of tasks and who has strong attention to detail.
The Program Associate will report to the Regional Director for South and East Asia and work closely with field-based staff, providing administrative and logistic support to large multi-year projects across several countries. Key responsibilities include:
· Assist with the management of a portfolio of grant-funded toxic pollution assessment, exposure mitigation, and community education projects including training and overseeing staff and monitoring project progress against contracts
· Financial management including tracking budgets; compiling and reviewing expense reports; and ensuring internal and external reporting deadlines are met
· Communications including drafting and editing formal reports for donors; publicizing projects, results, and local activities through blog posts, press releases and other media; and acting as a liaison with overseas staff or partners
· Develop and maintain contacts within relevant national governments, UN agencies, universities, scientific organizations and partners in project countries
· Assist in identifying funding opportunities and preparing grant proposals, including designing program activities, budgets, and reporting metrics in coordination with international staff, governments, and potential partners
· Assist the research team in drafting peer-reviewed papers reporting on and analyzing environmental health data collected through Pure Earth’s work
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· Fluency in English (written and spoken). Foreign language proficiency is a plus.
· Bachelor’s degree in public health, public administration, environmental science, environmental engineering, international development or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
· Minimum three years of relevant work experience. Experience working abroad or on international programs preferred.
· Excellent report writing and editing skills. Ability to write effectively for diverse audiences, including donors, and project partners. Ability to adapt technical language into appropriate, effective narratives.
· Experience with or willingness to learn specialized software (e.g. GIS, statistics, and/or program management)
· Ability to operate comfortably and effectively in diverse cultural environments and coordinate an international team
· Ability to develop and deliver on goals; identify priority activities and assignments; foresee risks; show flexibility and problem-solving skills in adjusting plans and activities as necessary
· Ability and willingness to travel alone internationally for 2 weeks at a time
· Self-starter and motivated with proven ability to use time efficiently and accomplish tasks with minimal oversight
· Team player with a willingness to learn and adapt quickly to change. Supervisory experience a plus.
Solo travel to contaminated project sites is highly likely, and experience in international travel to project sites with local or international organizations is a plus. Travel is frequently to rural areas in low-income countries where accommodations and amenities are very basic. Applicants must be willing to adjust to diverse cultural environments that may have different attitudes related to religion, food, clothing, gender and other issues.
This is a full-time position that requires a minimum of forty hours per week. Work is performed at a desk in an office environment, with the exception of travel. Pure Earth’s office is located at 475 Riverside Drive, Suite 860, New York. Applicant must live in, or within commuting distance of New York, or be willing to relocate at his or her own expense.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
It is the policy of Pure Earth to provide equal opportunity for all qualified persons and not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
How to Apply
Email resume, cover letter, and 1-2 page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of your email should read: Program Associate- South Asia Application. No phone calls will be accepted.