Apply by Sept. 21, 2020
Pure Earth seeks a qualified intern to assist the Latin America team with a range of programmatic and administrative duties.
The ideal candidate will be proficient or fluent in Spanish as well as a strong writer in English; able to work independently as well as in a team; be detail oriented with a willingness to complete administrative tasks; have academic and/or professional experience in environmental studies, environmental health, international development, or other relevant field.
This is a paid internship at a rate of $15/hour for 15-20 hours a week. The internship will be initially 3 months with possibility of extension.
· Assist with the translation of documents and reports from Spanish to English
· Assist in the management of grant funded projects, including reviewing budgets and expenditures; monitoring progress and drafting reports to donors; reporting on project outcomes and results
· Assist in the development of grant proposal documents
· Assist in the review of incoming and past polluted site assessments in the Toxic Sites Identification Program (TSIP) database for quality control
· Perform independent research on polluted sites and environmental health issues
· Perform other programmatic, database management and administrative tasks as needed
· Bachelor’s degree in related field (e.g. international development, public health, environmental science, etc.); applicants currently pursuing a graduate degree in public health or another relevant field are encouraged to apply.
· Native English speaker with strong writing and editing skills
· Proficiency in Spanish; fluency a plus
· Available 20 hours/week for a minimum of 3 months
· High level of attention to detail and the ability to see projects through to completion
· A willingness to complete administrative work, such as database management and expense review.
· Knowledge and familiarity with environmental health and toxicology concepts preferred
· Experience with pollution or environmental health research preferred
· Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and online research tools
· Enthusiasm, sense of humor and a positive attitude
Pure Earth’s office is located at 475 Riverside Drive, Suite 860, New York. The office is currently open and operating under a comprehensive safety protocol instituted by the building (the Interchurch Center). Nonetheless, due to continued health concerns about the Covid-19 pandemic, the majority of New York-based staff are working from home. Although applicants must be based in the New York area, the intern will not be required to come into the office until health risks have been substantially mitigated and s/he feels comfortable doing so.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
It is the policy of Pure Earth to provide equal opportunity for all qualified persons and not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
HOW TO APPLY
Email resume and cover letter as a single attachment to Charlie Espinosa at Charles@pureearth.org. The subject line of your email should read: Internship – last name, first name. In the cover letter, please summarize your interest, applicable skills and experience, and any relevant course work.
Qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an interview in late September. No phone calls please.
Start date: October 5, 2020