Communications Director – Mexico
About Pure Earth
Pure Earth is a leading global environmental health nonprofit organization dedicated to saving
and improving lives by reducing pollution and cleaning up toxic hot spots in low- and middle-
income countries. With offices in nine countries, and hundreds of trained environmental health
investigators, Pure Earth teams have completed more than 120 projects in 27 countries using
best-in-class science, policy, and engineering practices to improve soil, water, and air quality
with pragmatic, cost-effective solutions.
Lead poisoning in Mexico is a major problem. According to the 2019 National Health Study,
ENSANUT, almost 20 percent of children have lead levels in blood at dangerous levels. In some
states close to 50 percent are affected. Pure Earth Mexico has led the effort to eradicate the
use of lead glazes in traditional Mexican pottery. We work closely with policy makers, pottery
artisans, restaurateurs, companies, and opinion leaders to transform this ancient tradition
into a lead-free practice that will protect generations of Mexican children from the invisible
damage of lead poisoning.
The Communications Director will create visibility and awareness among stakeholders about
Pure Earth Mexico’s work solving lead poisoning. Pure Earth aims to become a leader in online
engagement driving awareness, interest and action on lead pollution and poisoning. Goals for
the position are to:
– establish brand recognition for Pure Earth Mexico;
– consolidate various social accounts and websites under Pure Earth Mexico digital
– retain and redirect current followers;
– generate compelling content representing the work of the organization;
– drive website traffic, and
– gain press coverage for key accomplishments.
On day-to-day basis, the Communications Director will manage Pure Earth’s Mexico channels
(website and social media) and execute the communications strategy into powerful online
content that is based on human story-telling and appealing visuals. Content generated in the
Mexico office will be used by Pure Earth headquarters and partners to bring global visibility to
key accomplishments and garner additional support for projects. The Communications Officer
will work with partner organizations to disseminate joint accomplishments adhering to agreed
upon partnership guidelines.
The Communications Director will also be responsible for providing comprehensive analytics
and insight from all online communications.
Scope of Work
Online Communications Strategy
● Develop and execute online communications strategy consistent with the overall Pure
Earth communication strategy
● Develop an in-depth understanding of Pure Earth’s stakeholders and target audience
and a strategy to reach and engage with targets.
● Periodically update and strengthen online communication strategy based on insights
from social data/ metrics.
● Generate and share content daily and periodically to build meaningful connections and
interaction with targeted virtual communities and networks users.
● Create monthly editorial calendars and editorial plan for all Pure Earth Mexico social
● Create appealing visuals to be disseminated on social media
● Generate, edit, publish, and share daily content (text, images, video) that builds
meaningful connection and builds demand to take action to solve pollution.
● Take photos and video of project activities, edit to combine with key messages to create
compelling content pieces for use across multiple platforms;
● Website management
● Optimize Pure Earth Mexico webpages and social media pages to increase the visibility
of content through – but not limited to – search engine optimization.
● Analyze social data/ metrics and generate insights for further improvement on Pure
Earth Mexico’s online communications.
Newsletter and Blog
● Produce and disseminate newsletter and blog stories or other email pitches to Pure
● Develop strategy to boost subscribers for Pure Earth Mexico newsletters and blogs.
● Establish relationships with members of press to ensure a regular stream of coverage to
elevate awareness and drive demand for change.
● Establish relationships with social media influencers to increase awareness of Mexico’s
lead poisoning issue.
● Continuously look for innovative online platforms that can be utilized to tell stories,
disseminate research findings and key messages of Pure Earth
● Identify and collaborate with partners to assist online dissemination of Pure Earth’s key
messages in other relevant channels.
● Collaborate with Mexico team members and HQ staff to identify, frame and tell stories
and/or information from each project consistent with Pure Earth’s overall communication
● Excellent interpersonal communications and team work ability;
● Ability to think and plan strategically and creatively;
● Proven working experience in digital and social media for at least three years. An
individual with working experience in an environmental organization is preferable;
● Excellent writing, editing (photo/ video/ text), presentation, and communications skills;
● Demonstrable social analytics tools knowledge;
● Adequate knowledge of web development and content management software;
● Adequate knowledge of social media tools and their specific functions;
● Positive attitude, eyes on details with good multitasking in a fast-paced environment;
● Fluent in English and Spanish;
● Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or any other relevant field.
Some travel within Mexico to project sites required.
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter, resume, up to 3 samples of relevant written and audio/visual work
from your portfolio to [email protected].
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until June 15, 2023.