In 2017, the Philippines was among the top three growth performers in the Southeast Asia region. However, there are also environmental concerns besetting the country as it pursues further economic development. Despite these challenges, the Philippine Development Plan highlights that “individuals and communities will be made more resilient by reducing their exposure to risks, mitigating the impact of risks, and accelerating recovery when the risk materializes.” Pure Earth’s work in the Philippines is very much aligned with this. Since 2008, it has been doing pollution identification and abatement work through assessments of contaminated sites, exposure mitigation; multi-stakeholder coordination, education, capacitation and mobilization; industrial process reviews, and technical advice on environmentally sound management (ESM) and pollution control best practices and technologies. To date, over 150 toxic sites have been identified and assessed as part of Pure Earth’s TSIP initiative. In addition to these assessments, Pure Earth has worked on-the-ground in priority areas, such as areas where Used Lead Acid Battery recycling is prevalent, developing plans and implementing cleanup projects.
Lancet Commission on Pollution and Health- Philippines Summary
Pollution is responsible for 16.4% of deaths in the Philippines. Learn more about how pollution affects health and the economy in the Philippines by reading the Philippines Summary Report, based on the Lancet Commission on Pollution and Health.
Country and Project Reports
- Philippines Country Report 2018
- Marilao Industrial Waste Contamination Report
- Remediation of Clark and Subic Bay Report
- Urban Revitalization Through Mitigating Toxic Wastes Report
- Projects in Progress
- Completed Projects
- TSIP Trainings: TSIP Training Los Baños
Read more about our work in the Philippines in The Pollution Blog:
- HSBC Volunteers Take Action Against River Pollution in the Philippines (Oct 2018)
- Keeping Two-Year-Old Dexter and His Friends Safe From Lead Poisoning in Pampanga (Aug 2018)
- Mapping Pollution in the Philippines (Aug 2018)
- Notes from the Field: A Week in the Life of a Pure Earth Staffer in the Philippines (May 2017)