Established in 1999, Pure Earth is a pioneer in developing evidence-based solutions to lead and mercury pollution and exposure. Guided by our commitment to transparency, collaboration, impact measurement and technical excellence, Pure Earth works with partners around the world to sustainably address the root causes of lead and mercury pollution.
A world where all, especially children, are able to live healthy lives and reach their full potential, free from exposure to toxic pollution. Pure Earth partners with governments, communities and industry leaders to identify and implement solutions that stop toxic exposures, protect health, and restore environments.
Lead and mercury are two of the most prevalent pollutants in low- and middle-income countries, and pose a greater risk than all other Top Ten Chemicals of Concern identified by WHO. Because of widespread exposure, both toxicants have a significant impact on the trajectory of societies, causing disability, death, IQ loss, increased violence, restricted futures for poisoned children, and cardiovascular disease in adults.
IMPLEMENTING SOLUTIONS: LEAD
5-PHASE APPROACH TO MITIGATE LEAD EXPOSURES
Developed from our experience of over 50 successful projects in low- and middle-income countries.
- HEALTH SURVEILLANCE Conduct baseline BLL (blood lead level) testing and analysis to understand prevalence, severity and location of exposure.
- SOURCE ANALYSES Measure likely sources in houses where people have elevated lead levels, to determine the most significant sources of exposure.
- SOURCE-SPECIFIC INTERVENTIONS Design and implement interventions to reduce the use and/or release of lead in products and industrial processes.
- COMMUNICATIONS Disseminate findings to inform and build support with governments and funders for action.
- COUNTRY-LED IMPLEMENTATION STRATEGY Support the implementation of strategies and programmatic approaches within Ministry operations
IMPLEMENTING SOLUTIONS: MERCURY
MERCURY POLLUTION AND POISONING
- MERCURY HOT SPOTS Work with governments to identify ASGM sites where mercury use is poisoning children and families and damaging ecosystems. \
- TRAINING MINERS IN MERCURY-FREE TECHNOLOGIES Train miners in safe and profitable mercury-free mining techniques; test a range of remediation approaches to remove mercury.
- DEVELOP DEMAND DRIVEN PROGRAMS FOR MERCURY-FREE GOLD Work with partners to track gold that is made without mercury for jewelry industry and investment community alike.
- REFORESTATION Replant and restore regions of the Amazon rainforest stripped bare by mining activity. Native tree species are carefully selected for inclusion in landscape restoration. The species offer multiple benefits— ecological, medicinal, economic and more.
We prioritize actions to protect the developing brains and bodies all people, especially children and pregnant women, who are affected by lead and mercury. We work to stop the multigenerational cycle of poisoning that is endemic in many low- and middle-income countries.
PURE EARTH PARTNERSHIPS
Based on our mission and track record of success, Pure Earth has received support and guidance from key international institutions including the United Nations (UNEP, UNDP, UNICEF), the European Commission, the World Bank, U.S. Agency for International Development as well as global funders including GiveWell, Oak Foundation, Takeda and Clarios Foundation.
Click below to learn more: