Nearly one in three people in Madagascar die prematurely as a result of exposure to pollution. Exposures to contaminated air, water and soil are now the country’s leading risk factors contributing to death and disease. To address this problem, Pure Earth and the Global Alliance on Health and Pollution (GAHP) have launched a Health and Pollution Action Plan (HPAP). HPAP is a joint program between relevant national ministries in Madagascar, Pure Earth, and GAHP to analyze pollution challenges and advance concrete actions to reduce impacts on public health. In December 2018, Pure Earth delivered a draft of the HPAP document to the Madagascar government. Pure Earth will provide continued support for implementation of recommended policies and programs, and for proposal drafting after the reports are validated. A pilot cleanup project is being planned. We’re also partnering with UNICEF to address pollution in Madagascar—learn more here.
Lancet Commission on Pollution and Health- Madagascar Summary
Pollution is responsible for 22.3% of deaths in Madagascar. Learn more about how pollution affects health and the economy in Indonesia by reading the Madagascar Summary Report, based on the Lancet Commission on Pollution and Health.
Project Completion Reports
Projects in Progress:
In the News
Read more about the HPAP process and Pure Earth’s work in Madagascar:
Update: In February 2020, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation selected Pure Earth’s proposal to solve Madagascar’s pollution crisis as a Top 100 in its 100&Change competition. Project co-leads on the proposal are Indiana University and the University of Birmingham, UK. Learn more below.
- Pure Earth Makes Top 100 of MacArthur Foundation 100&Change Competition
- Madagascar’s willingness to lead the world (Feb 2020)
- Madagascar: United in Soccer and Pollution Cleanup (Aug 2019)
- Partnership with UNICEF (July 2019)
- Andrew McCartor: La lutte contre la pollution de l’air dans la volonte politique, L’Hebdo (July 2019)
- Madagascar Commits to Combating Pollution (Nov 2018)
- Taux de Mortalite (Oct 2018)
- Départ du bon pied entre MEEF et GAHP (Oct 2018)
- The Beginnings of HPAP in Madagascar (June 2017)
- La Pollution Menace Madagascar (April 2017)
- Madagascar HPAP Social Media Posts