Senior Communications Manager
Pure Earth Bangladesh
12-month position, with the possibility of annual renewal
Pure Earth, the world’s leading environmental health organization dedicated to solving lead pollution, is seeking a Senior Communications Manager for the Bangladesh office. The successful candidate will be a reliable, deadline-driven, strategist and creator, with deep experience developing online and offline awareness and advocacy campaigns and using digital tools to successfully engage national and global audiences, driving awareness, engagement, and partnerships.
About Pure Earth Bangladesh
Pure Earth Bangladesh started its journey in 2011 and has made progress in expanding capacity, building partnerships, and carrying out foundational research, mainly on lead pollution and poisoning. The team has carried out toxic site assessments, risk reduction, health screenings, and lead pollution remediation programs. Pure Earth Bangladesh has recently extended its research efforts to identify lead sources in consumer products. Pure Earth Bangladesh has partnered with government agencies to develop and implement a Health and Pollution Action Plan (HPAP). Pure Earth Bangladesh works cooperatively in partnerships that include governments, NGOs, civil society organizations, research institutes, universities, and media agencies to reduce lead exposure, raise awareness, and design and implement innovative solutions to save lives. We believe that together, we can solve lead pollution.
The Senior Communications Manager is responsible for: Assisting the Communications Lead in executing the strategic communications plan for the Pure Earth Bangladesh office, including but not limited to, tracking the reach and impact of communications efforts.
• Maintain Pure Earth Bangladesh’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube)
• Develop daily content (text, images, video) that is thought-provoking and engaging to increase the reach, following, and visibility in the social channels
• Follow the monthly editorial calendars, develop and share posts on all Pure Earth Bangladesh social media channels
• Monitor the social media data/metrics and produce social media reports on a monthly basis, and generate insights for further improvement on Pure Earth Bangladesh’s online communications
• Assist in implementing the digital media campaigns by providing support in research, content writing, graphic design, scheduling the posts, and monitoring the analytics
• Support in translating the global content and different research documents and adopt it into the country context to make it communicable with the local audience
• Study different research reports and news articles to gather facts; transform them into an effective message to reach out to the wider audience
Website Management, Newsletter, Blogs, Reports
• Maintain the Bangladesh office web content on the Pure Earth HQ website. Continually update the website to reflect program activities and enhance accessibility using best practices in user experience.
• Translate the website content in both Bangla and English in a professional manner
• Produce and disseminate newsletter and blog stories for Pure Earth subscribers on a regular basis
• Assist the program team in editing and producing reports Support the activities of the Lead-Safe Bangladesh Coalition
• With the Communications Lead, create a calendar of meetings and events
• Manage communications with members and Pure Earth staff as a coalition focal person
• Prepare materials as needed
• Maintain the web page for the coalition, and create social media assets for all members to use
• Reach out to the media as appropriate to bring attention to coalition activities and accomplishments.
Media Engagement and Monitoring
• Develop press releases for different events and activities of Pure Earth Bangladesh
• Communicate with the reporters on regular basis to develop a strong network and support them with necessary information
• Conduct regular media screening and document relevant news reports
• Support the technical team in building on existing, and developing new relationships with media, key stakeholders, and partners Media Asset Management
• Assist in the organization and storage of all media files using internal Pure Earth platforms (Dropbox, Resource Space, Google Drive)
• Ensure ease of sharing assets with HQ, partners, and media organizations.
• Coordinate the write-up, publication, and promotion of the project materials (booklets. Brochures, posters, etc.) including design and printing, including work with communication agencies/vendors
• Develop audio-visual materials from start to finish including writing scripts, and subtitles, editing, and ensuring quality delivery of the project by incorporating the feedback of the team and associated partners
• Assist the Communications Lead in interfacing with HQ to modify materials for dissemination on global channels.
Capturing Field Stories
• Visit the project fields and document the human stories and project outcomes
• Conduct interviews with the community people and local leaders
• Support all the communication efforts in the project field; provide the necessary information and support to the videographers, photographers, and journalists whenever necessary
• Support the Communications Lead with all events by providing logistic support to plan, organize and run the events
• Coordinate with the various vendors and develop contracts
• Assist in the development of visibility materials for all events
• Document the outcomes and best practices of different events in appropriate mediums
• Look for innovative online platforms that can be utilized to tell stories, and disseminate research findings and key messages of Pure Earth
• Establish relationships with social media influencers and members of the press
• Collaborate with Bangladesh office staff and HQ staff to identify, frame, and tell stories and/or information from each project consistent with Pure Earth’s overall communication strategy
• Join regular meetings and field visits
The Communication Manager will work under the supervision of the Communications Lead and in close coordination with the Program Country Director.
Office located in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Some domestic travel is required for field visits per project needs.
Qualifications & Experience
The candidate will have a proven record of successful online and offline campaigns, user engagement, and a demonstrated ability to react to current events. The successful candidate will be a team player and have the ability to build stakeholder relationships across many levels, capitalize on existing resources, and work effectively within the team. We’re looking for someone who is creative in their approach to message development, both audio-visual and static content creation, and tactics to reach target audiences. This position requires a high level of creativity and solid editorial judgment as well as the ability to use and produce social media analysis that drives strategy and supports the growth of our work in Bangladesh.
Key qualifications include:
• Bachelor’s degree and relevant work experience
• A background or degree in media and communication, environment, or public health is a plus
• Seven years of experience in strategic communications
• Experience in crafting and executing holistic online and offline strategies with a variety of audiences and goals
• Experience in conceptualizing and executing advocacy campaigns
• Ability to compile and analyze digital engagement metrics
• A passion for creating engaging content across all media channels
• Demonstrated news judgment and media relations skill
• Experience with web content management (especially WordPress)
• Experience with basic graphic design
• Experience with audio-visual productions and understanding of video editing
• Experience with global teams
• Experience developing and executing partnerships and campaigns with corporations and large NGOs and INGOs
• Professional proficiency in both Bangla and English language in the format of writing, speaking and listing.
Salary Range: US$1200-US$1500/month
Desired Start Date: Jan 1, 2023
Application Deadline: Nov 30, 2022
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume/CV, up to 4 writing samples (2 Bangla and 2 English write-ups) of relevant writings and links to audio/visual work from your portfolio, and contact details to [email protected] and [email protected].